Since we have to do some testing on Macs, we just got some of them in the office this week. Shiny brand new 13” MacBooks. First time using a Mac, it feels nice to be able to play with it. (Shame on me for wasting my time writing down this kind of useless, pseudo-geeky stuff)
Things that I’ve liked so far
- Very fast reboot.
- Spotlight: Very fast search in all computer, with a rich number of results, divided by file type, application, …
- Having the webcam setup from the beginning, that let you take your picture as user icon.
- Sleep mode, with instant resume. Semi sleep mode with dimmed display.
- Lock: Decide if you want to lock some setting with admin password (and not being hassled with UAC pop-ups)
- Having the caps lock ON indicator on the key itself. That, seriously, I don’t understand why I like. I remember having a pc keyboard like that and thinking that was stupid… I guess this is the power of the commercials.
- Integration with .Mac from the system setup
- Safari lets you remember your bookmarks across computers where you have the same .Mac ID
- UI, a chapter apart:
- The ones that they always show: Magnifying glass for the dock bar, minimizing and maximizing windows (sinking effect)… Very cool…
- Initial setup wizard: 3d cube that rotates with each screen.
- Dropping a new application into the sidebar (called Dashboard): ripple effect. Super cool
- Pop-ups popping up
- A kind of media center screen, showing shortcuts to DVD, music and pictures, that I swear I have no idea how to start.
- It just feels clean
Things that I haven’t found the way to do.
Not that they are problems, but they are at least not that easy to find
- Find a notepad (finally I got it :-). It’s called “text editor”, duh)
- Keep the sidebar on the desktop all the time
- Shortcuts (how do I minimize all the windows?)
- Solve the wireless problems (it’s painfully slow/disconnected).
- Maximize a window to occupy the whole screen (although the resolution is big enough for that not being a problem).
- Open a command prompt!
Things that I don’t like
- Why backspace is called delete?? 🙂 Where is “del”??
- I had an expectation of a Mac being very fast (again the power of commercials). There are some things that take longer that I’d like to (e.g. listing the wireless connections)
- Why I don’t have a right click (and I know that I can do ctrl-click, but …)?
- Can I resize a window just from the bottom right corner?
- And why the f*** it can’t connect to any wireless network?!